Halloween

Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's Going to be Okay

One of my favorite stories is one when I walked out to pick kids up from recess and one of my most on-top-of-it students asked me if eating fertilizer would kill you? I could see the tears welling up in her eyes and asked, "Oh no, what happened?" She proceeded tell me that she had found fertilizer on the field and ate a small piece of it. Then all the kids started telling her how you can die from eating fertilizer. I gave her a big hug and said that was only true if you ate a bunch of it.

I told her the story of when I was about her age and came in from outside telling my mom that I'd found these tasty berries in the yard. Mom said they were poisonous and sent me off to wash my hands or something. For days I waited to die wondering why no one else seemed overly concerned. I think that got her to believe me when I told her I could understand feeling scared, but at worst she'd be itchy.

You never know when your life experiences will be useful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment